Rooibos Raisin Bread
250 g (335 ml) seedless raisins, coarsely chopped
250 ml hot, strong Rooibos
100 g moskonfyt or molasses
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
10 ml wine vinegar
840 g (6 x 250 ml) cake flour
130 g (250 ml) wholewheat flour
30 g instant yeast
15 g (12 ml) salt
10 ml mixed spice
about 500 ml lukewarm, strong Rooibos
50 g (55 ml) butter
- Place the raisins and hot Rooibos in a bowl and set aside until the raisins are plump and the Rooibos is lukewarm.
- Grease two bread tins or 8 small pottery pots.
- Beat the moskonfyt, eggs and vinegar together. Drain the raisins and add the raisin liquid to the egg mixture. Keep the raisins aside.
- Sift the flours, yeast, salt and spices together in a large mixing bowl. Mix and make a well in the centre. Add the egg mixture and half (250 ml) of the lukewarm Rooibos, stirring constantly to
mix well. Add more of the Rooibos (as needed) to create a soft, slightly sticky, dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Rub the butter onto your hands and knead the dough for 10 to 12 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Knead the dough flat and sprinkle the
drained, plumped raisins on the dough. Fold the dough over the raisins to cover completely and knead for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a clean bowl, greased with a little butter. Flip the dough over in the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm place. Allow the dough to prove for about 15 minutes, until clearly aerated, but not yet double in volume.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knock back. Divide into 2 or 8 smaller equal portions (depending on the containers used) and shape into loaves. Place into the prepared containers and neaten the edges. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to prove until double in bulk.
- Preheat the oven in the meantime to 200 °C.
- Place the loaves into the hot oven and bake for 5 minutes. Lower the temperature to 180 °C and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and turn the bread out onto a wooden board. Knock the bottom of each loaf – it should sound hollow. If not, return the loaves to the oven (without returning to the containers) and bake for a further 5 minutes. Place on cooling racks and allow to cool.
Submit your recipe