The Perfect Cuppa
Rooibos is less astringent and bitter than Ceylon (black) tea and therefore needs less sugar or sweetener.
Rooibos can be reheated without losing any flavour or becoming bitter.
- Warm the teapot by rinsing it with boiling water.
- Place one bag of Rooibos or one heaped teaspoon of Rooibos per cup in the teapot.
- Pour boiling water into the pot and keep it warm. (You can also slowly brew it in a pot on the stove if you want a full-flavour tea.)
- Allow to infuse for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar or honey to taste. Try a refreshing cup of Rooibos with honey and lemon.
- If Rooibos is steeped for 5 - 10 minutes, its antioxidant activity increases significantly.
- Use boiling water with a neural pH. Never use over-boiled water, as the oxygen in the water will be depleted. Proper infusion of the Rooibos won't be possible.
- Rooibos can also be prepared in a microwave oven. For a single cup, place one bag of Rooibos in a cup of cold water and microwave at maximum power for two minutes. (Use a glass teapot and the quantities advised above for larger amounts.)
Download the "How to make a perfect cuppa" brochure here.