Cream of Corn Soup
Bushmans Kloof for Rooibos Limited
1 tin (410 g) sweetcorn
2 chicken stock cubes, dissolved in 600 ml hot, strong Rooibos
600 ml milk
1 onion, chopped
4 black peppercorns
60 g (65 ml) butter
70 g (125 ml) cake flour
30 ml sherry
sour cream for garnishing
chopped chives for garnishing
1. Simmer the corn and Rooibos stock over low heat for 20 minutes.
2. Pour into a food processor and mix until smooth (or rub through a sieve).
3. Heat the milk with the onion and black peppercorns.
Pour the milk through a sieve into the corn mixture.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir to make a smooth paste.
5. Add the corn mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
Bring to the boil. Add more milk if the soup is too thick.
6. Add the sherry and stir.
7. Garnish with the sour cream and chives to serve.
Curried Fish Soup
4 small whole fish (Ask the fishmonger to fillet and skin the fish for you, and request the head,
bones and skin for the fish stock.)
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 Rooibos tea bags
1,5 litres boiling water
30 ml butter
30 ml sunflower oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 sticks celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
3 cm piece ginger, sliced
10 ml curry powder
1 red chilli, sliced
good pinch saffron strands, soaked in a little warm milk
1 tin (410 g) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped and juices retained
250 ml white wine
4 large potatoes, peeled and finely diced
1. Rinse the head, bones and skin.
2. Cut the fish fillets into 3 x 3 cm pieces, and season with salt and pepper. Keep in the fridge until needed.
3. Steep the Rooibos tea bags in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags.
4. Heat the butter and sunflower oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger and sauté until golden brown. Add the curry powder, chilli, saffron, tinned tomatoes, wine, prepared Rooibos, the fish heads, bones and skin. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes (the fish eyes should turn white and hard).
5. Remove and discard the heads, bones and skin. Add the diced potatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return to the boil until the potatoes are cooked and soft, about 8 minutes. Add the seasoned fish pieces and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
6. Serve the soup with chunky bread and butter.